Bisibelabath is a dish where rice is mixed with a spicy lentil gravy (sambar). The dish is usually on the watery side and here I have replaced rice with quinoa. It was a time that I was quinoa crazy and replaced rice in a lot of dishes. Some were a success like this, while a few were not repeated. Quinoa mixes perfectly in the gravy and we did not miss the rice. Off to the recipe.
Quinoa with lentils, vegetables and spices.
- quinoa - 1/2 - 1 cup (as needed)
- toor dal - 1/2 cup
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- onion - 1/4 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 1/2 cup - chopped
- carrots - 1
- potatoes - 2 (small)
- beans - 1/2 cup (cut into 1 inch thick pieces)
- bisibelabath masala - 4 - 5 tsp (adjust to taste)
- turmeric - a pinch
- salt - to taste
- tamarind - lime size - soaked and juice extracted
This dish is supposed to be on the watery side.
1 year ago: Quinoa Potato Upma
2 years ago: Poricha Kuzhambu
3 years ago: Healthy Masala Vadai
1. Prepare the sambar following this link.2. Wash a cup of quinoa and cook with 21/2 cups water.3. Cooked quinoa.4. Add enough sambar as needed to the cooked quinoa and mix well. Serve with chips or potato curry.
Tasty dish ready.