Upma is basically a medley of vegetables and rice or sooji and so on. Sometimes we make it without vegetables too and is a quick fix item that takes minutes to make. I have mentioned in this post about how I am into quinoa these days. This is the next simple dish that we normally make using poha (flattened rice flakes), but I chose to use quinoa instead. Of all the dishes with quinoa, this one stood out and became our favorite instantly.
Quinoa does take a few tries to get used to and it has a nutty flavor, but when cooked the right way it could become your family’s favorite too. It is nutritious with a lot of protein. Off to the recipe.
Quinoa cooked with vegetables and spices.
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- urad dal - 1 tsp
- red chillies - 1 - 2
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- potatoes - 1/2 cup - diced into small pieces
- quinoa - 1/2 cup (washed)
- water - 1 - 11/4 cups
- salt - to taste
- coconut - 1 tsp
- lemon juice - 1 tsp
- cilantro - to garnish
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and red chillies. When the dal turns golden brown add the onions and potatoes. Saute until onions are cooked.
Add quinoa, water and salt. Cover and cook until the quinoa is done. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes.
Fluff up the quinoa. Add coconut, lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.
1. Quinoa must be washed to avoid a bitter taste.
2. Adjust the quantity of water to taste. More water leads to a mushier texture.
1 year ago: Chinese Vegetable Soup
2 years ago: Healthy Masala Vadai
1. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and red chillies.2. When the dal turns golden brown add the onions and potatoes.3. When onions are cooked add the washed quinoa.4. Add water and salt.5. Cover and cook until the quinoa is done. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes.6. Fluff it up with a fork. Add coconut and lemon juice.7. Garnish with cilantro.
Healthy bowl of upma ready.
4 Responses to Quinoa Potato Upma
Healthy and delicious upma.. Have been experimenting with quinoa a lot.. bookmarking this recipe..
Healthy and delicious upma…Really INDIAN
healthy / refreshing breakfast
Such an healthy and delicious upma perfect healthy way to start a day