Hope everyone is having a wonderful Valentine’s Day. Today’s recipe is a South Indian dish and it is a gravy that goes with rice, idli, dosai and so on. Our meal usually consists of rice, sambar/kuzhambu, one or two side dishes and rasam. Of course there are lazy days . Once when our friends visited us they were surprised to see the number of items on the table and we just looked at each other because it was a pretty normal day lunch.
If I sit and individually think of the time spent to make each dish, I am sure my head will start spinning. But, for the most part I go with the flow and for the usual South Indian dishes I hardly even think these days. This kuzhambu is slightly on the watery side and is one of my favorites. Recipe is from my mom. Off to the recipe.
South Indian gravy that goes well with rice.
- oil - 1 tbsp
- vadagam - 1 tsp - Use mustard seeds and urad dal instead for tempering - refer to notes
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- garlic - 8 cloves
- tomatoes - 1/2 cup - chopped
- eggplant - 2 cups - sliced
- potatoes - 3 small - about 1 cup sliced)
- drumstick - 8 pieces
- chilly powder - 2 tsp - Refer to notes
- salt - to taste
- turmeric - a pinch
- tamarind - lemon size - about 3 cups of juice extracted
Heat oil and add vadagam. Saute for a few seconds. Add all the vegetables, chilly powder, salt and turmeric powder. Saute for 10 minutes.
Next add the tamarind water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the stove and enjoy with rice.
1. The chilly powder I have used is homemade and is a mixture of chillies and coriander seeds. If using chilli powder from store, reduce the quantity. Homemade sambar powder can also be used.
2. If you do not have vadagam - Splutter 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds. Then add about a tsp of urad dal.
1 year ago: Pasta with white sauce
1. Heat oil and add vadagam. Saute for a few seconds.2. Add onion, garlic, tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes and drumstick.3. Add chilly powder, salt and turmeric.4. Mix it all together.5. Saute for around 10 minutes.6. Add the tamarind water.7. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.8. Turn off the stove and enjoy with rice.
Yummy kuzhambu with cauliflower fry and cabbage fry was for lunch.