Once a year we have a potluck get together for the scouts. Sloppy Joes was the main dish in it and we are usually served a vegetarian version of the same using soya. We liked the flavors and I decided to try it at home. It is very easy to put together and it was a welcome change to the pav bhaji that is made often at home. The process becomes even simpler if you use canned tomatoes, but feel free to use fresh puree if you have time. The soya granules gave a nice bite to the dish and mingled well with the other ingredients. Off to the recipe.
Sloppy joes with soya granules.
- soya chunks - 1 1/4 cup (soya granules)
- oil - 1 tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- garlic - 5 cloves - minced
- onion - 1 cup - chopped
- carrots - 1/2 cup - chopped
- peas - 1/2 cup (I used frozen)
- bell pepper - 3/4 cup - diced
- tomatoes - 2 1/2 cups - puree (I used canned crushed tomatoes)
- chilly powder - 1 - 1 1/2 tsp (adjust to taste)
- cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- coriander powder - 3 tsp
- salt - to taste
- cilantro - to garnish
Cook soya granules according to package instructions.
Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Add garlic and saute for a few seconds. Add onions and saute until onions are done.
Add the vegetables and cook for a few minutes; add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Simmer for about 10 minutes and garnish with cilantro. Serve with bread or rotis.
1. You can also pulse the big soya chunks in a blender or food processor and use instead of granules.
2. To cook the granules, I add them to boiling water and turn off the stove. Let it sit in the hot water for a few minutes. Squeeze to remove water and then add to curries.
1 year ago: Brown Rice and Red Bean Soup
2 years ago: Red Kidney Beans Quesadilla
3 years ago: Strawberry Lemonade
1. Cook soya granules according to package instructions.2. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Add garlic and saute for a few seconds.3. Add onions and saute until onions are done.4. Add the vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes.5. Vegetables cooked.6. Add the rest of the ingredients.7. Mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes.8. Garnish with cilantro and serve with bread.
Healthy “sloppy joes” ready.