Although spring is in sight, we still have some cold days and I am sure most of you would love a hot bowl of soup or chilli on those cold nights. I have recently started experimenting with brown rice and had posted this lentil pancake earlier. This is another interesting soup where I have used brown rice to make it more filling and healthy. Of course the soup on its own is delicious, but if you are like me and love a bit of rice with your meal, this is the way to go. As mentioned this is a filling soup that can be served on its own. Overall it was an instant hit with family and friends. The bonus is that the kids loved it too. Off to the recipe.
Brown Rice and Red Bean Soup
Healthy soup with vegetables and beans topped with brown rice.
- brown rice - 1/2 cup (brown basmati rice)
- red beans - 2 cups (dry beans - soaked overnight)
- olive oil - 1 tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- garlic - 2 tbsp - minced
- onion - 1.5 cups - chopped
- bell pepper - 1 cup - chopped
- jalapeno - 2 tbsp - chopped
- carrots - 3/4 cup - chopped
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- cumin powder - 1.5 tsp
- thyme - 1/2 tsp
- oregano - 1/2 tsp
- tomato paste - 3 tbsp
- cilantro - to garnish
Soak the beans overnight and cook them. Boil about 3 - 4 cups of water and add the brown rice. Simmer until the rice is cooked.
Heat oil and add cumin seeds and garlic. Saute for a few seconds. Add the vegetables; when cooked add the beans reserving one cup to add later.
Add 4 1/2 cups water and the rest of the ingredients except cilantro. Bring to a boil and coarsely mash using a ladle or immersion blender. Add the reserved 1 cup of beans.
Simmer for about 15 minutes and turn off the stove. Garnish with cilantro.
Quinoa can also be used instead of brown rice since both have a nice nutty texture.
1 year ago: Red Beans Quesadilla
2 years ago: Brinjal Coconut Kuzhambu
1. Soak the red beans overnight.2. Cooked red beans. I use a pressure cooker to cook the beans.3. Boil about 3 - 4 cups water and add the brown rice to it.4. Rice is cooked. It took about 30 minutes for me.5. Cooked rice. Fluff it up and keep aside.6. Heat oil and add cumin seeds and garlic. Saute for a few seconds.7. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and carrots.8. Vegetables are cooked.9. Keep aside 1 cup of the cooked beans and add the rest.10. Add about 4 1/2 cups water, salt, pepper, chilly powder, cumin powder, thyme and oregano.11. Add tomato paste.12. Bring to a boil.13. Mash coarsely with an immersion blender or just with a ladle.14. Add the reserved 1 cup of beans.15. Simmer for about 15 minutes and turn of the stove. Garnish with cilantro.
Tasty soup ready.
3 Responses to Brown Rice and Red Bean Soup
Very filling and comforting soup.
lovely soup, i make it with black beans, will try with red too.
healthy and filling soup..