My son mostly orders cheese quesadilla when we eat at Mexican restaurants. Since cheese alone did not sound too exciting to me, I decided to fill it up with some mashed beans. I also whipped this up in a jiffy by using canned beans. You can sneak in some veggies in this too since cheese masks them and the kids would not notice them, at least my kids did not. If you want to keep it even simpler, you can make the cheese ones where the filling is just cheese. I have used store bought tortillas for this recipe. Off to the easy and healthy recipe.
Red Beans (Kidney Beans) Quesadilla
Easy and healthy bean quesadilla.
- olive oil - 1 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp (jeeragam)
- garlic - 2 cloves - minced
- onion - 1/4 cup - chopped
- red kidney beans - 1.5 cups - cooked (I used canned)
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - 1/4 tsp (adjust to taste)
- tortilla - 3 - 4
Coarsely mash the cooked beans and keep aside.
Heat oil. Add cumin seeds and garlic and saute for a few seconds. Add onion and saute until the onions are cooked. Next add the bean mixture, salt and chilly powder. Mix and simmer for 5 minutes.
Heat a griddle and place a tortilla on it. Spread the bean mixture on one half of it and sprinkle with cheese. Fold the tortilla in a semi-circle and allow it to brown on both sides.
Remove from heat and allow to rest for a few minutes. Slice and serve.
1. If using dry beans, soak it overnight and cook the beans. Then mash it coarsely.
1 year ago: Strawberry Banana Flax Smoothie
1. Coarsely mash the cooked beans and keep aside.2. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Saute for a few seconds.3. Add garlic and saute for a few seconds.4. Add onions.5. Saute until the onions are cooked.6. Add the bean mixture, salt and chilly powder.7. Mix and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the stove off. 8. Heat a griddle and place a tortilla on it. Spread the bean mixture on one half.9. Sprinkle with cheese.10. Fold the tortilla and let the tortilla brown on one side.11. Flip over and let the other side brown.12. Remove from the stove and allow to rest for a few minutes. Cut and serve.
Healthy and tasty quesadillas ready.
8 Responses to Red Beans (Kidney Beans) Quesadilla
These sound delicious!
Wow looks very tempting!!
loved your clicks and presentation..
my favorite dish.
Nice one !!
Wow such a delicious one… can gobble a few right now!!! you are making me hungry:)))
Ongoing Event – Healthy Foods for Healthy kids – Italian Dishes (w Giveaway)
Ongoing Event – Celebrate – Summer
Ongoing Event – Bake Fest
Lovely clicks and healthy snack for kids….
Nice and easy! Will try this one out tonight. Thanks