I had posted a version of bread sticks earlier and the main difference here is the use of whole wheat flour along with bread flour. My kids love to eat this as a snack, rather than with a meal and they did not really mind the use of whole wheat flour. The bread sticks had a crunch with a soft interior and the kids had a blast with marinara sauce. Off to the recipe.
Bread sticks with whole wheat flour.
- milk - to brush before baking
- sesame seeds - to sprinkle on bread sticks
- butter - as needed
- garlic - few cloves
- For Dough
- water - 3/4 cup
- milk - 1/2 cup (luke warm - I used fat free)
- butter - 2 1/2 tbsp (softened)
- brown sugar - 2 tbsp - packed
- salt - 3/4 - 1 tsp
- yeast - 2 tsp (instant yeast)
- whole wheat flour - 11/2 cups
- bread flour - 1 - 11/2 cups
Make a dough using the "dough" ingredients. The dough should be soft and pliable. Allow to rise until doubled in volume.
Punch it down and divide into 24 pieces. (Divide into 4 and then divide each into 6). Form each piece into a bread stick that is around 8 inches long.
Place on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet and allow to rise. (It took about an hour for me). Brush with milk or egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if needed. Bake at 350F for 15 - 20 min until the bread sticks are done and slightly brown.
Meanwhile, melt some butter and garlic in a pan to brush over the sticks once they are done.
2 years ago: Jeera (Cumin) Rice
3 years ago: Garlic Parmesan Pull Apart Bread
1. Using the ingredients for dough, make a dough and allow to rise.2. We need to make 24 pieces. Start by dividing the dough into 4 pieces.3. Divide each piece into 6 pieces.4. Form a bread stick that is around 8 inches with each piece.5. Place on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet and allow to rise.6. After about an hour, the bread sticks look puffed. Brush with milk or egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if needed. Bake at 350F for 15 - 20 min until the bread sticks are done and slightly brown.7. Meanwhile melt some butter and garlic in a pan to brush over the sticks once they are done.8. Out of the oven. Brush with garlic butter if needed and serve.
Yummy bread sticks ready.