Biriyani is a rice dish and can be made in a ton of ways. There is a lot of flavor going in with the ginger, garlic and spices. Raita is a perfect condiment to this rice. Although I am not a big fan of mushrooms, the kids love mushrooms and I either make mushroom gravy or mushroom rice. This is a one pot meal and is perfect for week nights. Off to the recipe.
Rice with mushrooms and spices.
- To Grind
- cilantro - 1/2 cup - packed
- ginger - 1/2 inch piece
- garlic - 5 cloves
- fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- For Biriyani
- oil - 2 tbsp
- cloves - 3
- cinnamon - small piece
- bay leaf - 1
- onion - 2 cups - chopped
- green chilly - 3
- tomatoes - 2 cups - chopped
- mushrooms - 4 cups - sliced
- turmeric - a pinch
- sambar powder - 1/2 - 1 tsp (adjust to taste)
- salt - to taste
- water - 3 cups
- basmati rice - 2 1/2 cups - soaked for 30 minutes
Make a paste of the ingredients in "To Grind".
Heat oil and add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, onion, green chilly and the paste. Saute until onions are cooked. Add tomatoes and saute for a few minutes.
Add mushrooms and saute for few minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and cover and cook until the rice is done.
Fluff the rice and serve with raita.
1. You can use chilly powder and coriander powder instead of sambar powder. For a spoon of chilly powder I use double the quantity of coriander powder.
2. Adjust the quantity of water as needed.
1 year ago: Pepper Garlic Rice
2 years ago: Beetroot Rice
3 years ago: Carrot Apple Ginger Soup
4 years ago: Beetroot Poori
1. Take cilantro, ginger, garlic and fennel seeds in a blender.2. Blend to a paste.3. Heat oil. Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, onion, green chillies and the paste. Saute until the onions are cooked.4. Add tomatoes and saute for a few minutes.5. Add mushrooms and saute for a few minutes.6. Add turmeric, sambar powder, salt and water.7. Add rice. Close and cook until the rice is done.8. Fluff the rice and serve with raita.
Tasty biriyani ready.
One Response to Mushroom Biriyani
Love the way you prepared this mushroom biryani.Looking really delish