“Mor Kuzhambu” is basically a yogurt gravy. It is one my favorite gravies and I like to have it with rice, idli, upma, etc. So, my joy knew no bounds when I saw this powder posted here. It only made me wonder why I had not thought of something like this earlier. Now I can make this kuzhambu much easily if I have the powder on hand. No more blending small quantities . I made small adjustments to the ingredients and totally loved the instant mor kuzhambu.
I also made a batch following my recipe and enjoyed it a lot. You can look up instant sambar and rasam as well since they are very helpful too. Off to the recipe.
Instant Mor Kuzhambu Powder
Instant mix to prepare mor kuzhambu in a jiffy.
- For Powder
- coriander seeds - 3 tbsp
- channa dal - 1 tbsp
- toor dal - 1 tbsp
- urad dal - 1 tbsp
- cumin seeds - 2 tsp
- red chillies - 6 - 8
- peppercorns - 1 tsp
- fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
- For Kuzhambu
- oil - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- water - 1/2 cup
- salt - to taste
- zucchini - 1/2 cup - cut into cubes (optional)
- yogurt - 1 cup
Homemade yogurt can be made following this link
Dry roast all the ingredients given under "For Powder" except turmeric and asafoetida. Allow to cool and blend well with asafoetida and turmeric. Store this powder in an airtight container.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add water, salt, prepared powder (2 tbsp) and vegetables if using. When vegetables are cooked add beaten yogurt and lower the flame.
Simmer for about 5 minutes and turn off the stove. Serve with rice, idli, upma, etc.
Refer to this post for the original mor kuzhambu recipe posted earlier.
1. If not using vegetables, just boil the mixture for about 5 minutes and then add the beaten yogurt.
2. Adjust the quantity of water and masala as needed.
1 year ago: Shelly's Whole Wheat Bread
2 years ago: Tofu Potato Breakfast Burrito
3 years ago: Tomato Sambar
4 years ago: Potatoes in Tomato Gravy
1. Take all ingredients except turmeric and asafoetida in a pan.2. Saute until a nice aroma floats. Allow to cool.3. Take in a blender along with asafoetida and turmeric.4. Blend well. Store in airtight containers.5. To prepare mor kuzhambu. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add about 1/2 cup of water and vegetables of choice. Add about 2 tbsp of the powder and salt.6. Allow the vegetables to soften.7. Add about a cup of beaten yogurt and mix. Let it sit on a low flame for about 5 minutes. Turn off the stove and serve with rice.
Yummy kuzhambu podi ready.