It was quite a baking day today. We baked pav buns for dinner and also a big batch of crescent rolls. Given the tons of different dinner rolls I have baked, my kids always pick crescent rolls. Coming to this rice, if you are a garlic lover, you should try this rice. To be honest, I never thought this rice would be so flavorful given the minimum ingredients. But, it was tasty and flavorful and has been a regular since.If the rice is not cooled before mixing, it will break and become mushy. Recipe adapted from Mallika Badrinath book.
Garlic flavored rice.
- basmati rice - 1 cup - uncooked
- oil - 2 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- garlic - 10 cloves - sliced
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- salt - to taste
- curry leaves - a few
- turmeric - a pinch
- pepper - 1 tsp (powdered)
- ghee - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Homemade ghee can be made following this link
Cook rice and keep aside. Allow to cool.
Heat oil and add cumin seeds and garlic; saute for a minute. Add onions, salt and curry leaves. When onions are cooked add turmeric, pepper powder and ghee. Mix well.
Add to the cooked and cooled rice and mix gently. Serve with papad.
2 years ago: Carrot Apple Ginger Soup
3 years ago: Spinach Pine Nut Salad
1. Heat oil. Add cumin seeds and garlic. Saute for a minute.2. Add onions, salt and curry leaves.3. When onion is cooked add turmeric and pepper powder.4. Mix well. Add ghee.5. Add to the cooked and cooled rice.6. Mix gently and serve with papad.
Tasty rice ready.