I had to push myself to post this soup before the spring weather takes over. Now you can certainly have this soup any time of the year, but for me winter and a warm bowl of soup always go hand in hand. After making this easy soup, I realized that you can puree most vegetables in a similar way to make soup. Yeah, I know I should have known it earlier given that I have been cooking for a decade . But, soups are certainly not my area and I am slowly getting out of that comfort zone.
The mild sweetness from the apples and the ginger add a lot of flavor to this soup. I have been trying to include more carrots in our daily cooking and this recipe is a keeper. Off to the recipe.
Tasty and healthy soup with carrots, apple and ginger.
- olive oil - 1 tsp
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- ginger - small piece - diced (if you like ginger flavor use more)
- carrots - 2 - diced (Roughly 1 1/4 cups)
- apples - 1 - diced (Roughly 1 1/4 cups)
- milk - 1 - 1.5 cups (I used a mixture of reduced fat and fat free milk)
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
Heat olive oil and saute onions and ginger. Next add carrots, apple, half a cup of water and cook until the carrots are tender.
Allow to cool and take in a blender and puree well. Pour the puree back into the pan and add milk, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes and turn off the stove.
1. Adjust the quantity of milk based on the desired thickness.
1 year ago: Spinach Pine Nut Salad
1. Heat olive oil and add onions and ginger.2. Saute until the onions are cooked.3. Add the carrots, apple and half cup of water.4. Cook until the carrots are tender. Allow to cool.5. Take in a blender.6. Blend well.7. Pour the puree back into the same vessel.8. Add milk.9. Add salt and pepper.10. Simmer for 10 minutes and turn the stove off.
Yummy soup ready.