Sometime back we had “living” lettuce (butter lettuce) in our bountiful basket. Rather than the usual chopping it up and making kootu or salad, I wanted to try something different. Hence, these wraps were born. If you are avoiding tortillas for some reason, you can totally switch it with these big leaves. They were a tad fragile unlike the tortillas, but it still worked out pretty good. The filling was a healthy filling with beans, quinoa, vegetables and so on. Off to the recipe.
Healthy lettuce wraps with beans and vegetables.
- quinoa - 1/2 cup
- olive oil - 2 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 1/2 cup - diced
- yellow squash - 1 cup - diced
- bell pepper - 1/2 cup - chopped
- pinto beans - 2 cups (cooked beans)
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - 1/2 tsp (adjust to taste)
- coriander powder - 1 tsp
- lettuce - as needed for the wrap
Follow this post and cook quinoa.
Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Add onions and saute until onions are done. Add the rest of the ingredients except lettuce and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the cooked quinoa. Mix well and garnish with herbs.
Place in lettuce leaves and serve like wraps.
You can also wrap in tortilla instead of lettuce leaves.
1 year ago: Rice Krispies Treats
2 years ago: Poha Payasam
3 years ago: Oma Podi
4 years ago: Bisibelabath (Sambar Rice)
1. Follow this post to cook quinoa.2. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Then add onions and saute until onions are done.3. Add tomatoes, squash, bell pepper, cooked pinto beans, salt, chilly powder and coriander powder.4. Cook for about 10 minutes.5. Add the cooked quinoa.6. Mix well and garnish with herbs. Place in lettuce leaves and serve like wraps.
Healthy wraps ready.