Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. This was a last minute treat that I made for the kids particularly the little one who, was eagerly waiting for Santa. Shortbread cookies uses simple ingredients namely flour, butter and sugar and is very easy to make. If you have a food processor, then these cookies are even simpler to make. You do need to chill the dough to make it easy to cut it for baking though. So, plan accordingly. I had earlier posted a colorful shortbread that you can find here.
The original recipe had sprinkles in the dough, but I decided to dip the cookies in chocolate. My daughter had fun adding the sprinkles to the cookies. The cookies were rich and tasty and was loved by all. Recipe adapted from here.
Addictive shortbread cookies.
- all purpose flour - 1 1/4 cup
- sugar - 3 tbsp
- butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick)
- chocolate - 1/2 cup - I used chocolate chips
- sprinkles - as needed (optional)
Slice butter. Mix sugar and flour in a food processor. Then add butter and run the processor until the mixture comes together.
Remove from processor and knead gently. Then pat into a 8 x 5 rectangle. Cover and place the dough in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
Remove from freezer and slice into pieces. Place in a greased baking sheet and bake in a 325F preheated oven for about 20 - 25 minutes until the bottom is golden brown.
Remove from oven and allow to cool. They will be brittle at this stage. Once cooled, dip them in melted chocolate and sprinkle with sprinkles if needed.
1. You can also make the dough by hand. Cut the butter into the dough using a pastry cutter or fingers. If the mix does not come together, use a bit of milk to bring the mixture together.
2. Butter has to be COLD.
1 year ago: Spicy Capsicum Fry
2 years ago: Healthy Mushroom Masala
3 years ago: Eggless Microwave Brownie
1. Slice cold butter.2. Mix flour and sugar first. Then add butter and run the processor until it comes together.3. Dough ready.4. Place the crumbly dough in a bowl and knead gently. It will come together.5. Pat into a 8 x 5 rectangle. Cover and place in freezer for about 20 minutes.6. Remove from freezer and slice into pieces.7. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 325F for about 20 - 25 minutes until the bottom is golden brown.8. Out of the oven. Allow to cool as they will be brittle.9. Melt chocolate and dip the pieces in it. Sprinkle with sprinkles if needed.
Addictive cookies ready.
Linking to Bake Fest #38 hosted here.