I started cooking with mushrooms only in the past few years because the family loves mushrooms. Any time we stop at Costco, I never fail to pick up a box of either the button mushrooms or the baby portabella mushrooms. This gravy is a very simple and healthy dish and for a long time, this was the only way I knew to cook mushrooms. Though I have the basement stocked with a variety of store bought masala mixes, I use them rarely. For this dish, I use one such mix, channa masala.
Even if channa masala was added to any other dish, K used to ask me with a big smile if I was making mushroom dish since he associated that masala only with mushrooms. The kids love the mushroom gravy too. Off to the recipe.
Mushrooms simmered in a gravy made with onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and Indian spices.
- For Puree
- oil - 1 tsp
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 3/4 cup - diced
- garlic - 2 cloves
- ginger - 1/4 inch piece
- For the gravy
- oil - 1 tsp
- cloves - 2
- cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
- mushrooms - 4 cups - sliced
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- channa masala - 1/2 tsp
- turmeric - a pinch
- yogurt - few tsp as needed - adds a nice tanginess
Homemade yogurt can be made following this link
Heat oil and saute the ingredients mentioned under puree. When the vegetables are cooked, turn the stove off and allow to cool. Take in a blender and blend well.
Heat oil and add cloves and cinnamon. Add the puree and saute for a few minutes until the puree thickens. Add the mushrooms, salt, chilly powder, channa masala and turmeric. Add about 1/2 cup of water and allow the mushrooms to cook.
Turn off the stove after 10 minutes and allow the gravy to cool. Add yogurt to the cooled gravy and serve with rotis or rice.
1. Add some coriander powder and amchur instead of channa masala if needed.
1 year ago: Idli Upma
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil and saute onions, tomato, ginger and garlic.2. Vegetables are cooked. Allow to cool.3. Take in a blender.4. Make a puree. Keep aside.5. Heat 1 tsp oil and add cloves and cinnamon.6. Add the puree.7. Saute for around 7 -8 minutes until the puree starts to thicken.8. Add the mushrooms.9. Add turmeric, chilly powder, salt and channa masala.10. Mix well and add about 1/2 cup of water. 11. Simmer for 10 minutes allowing the mushrroms to cook and for the flavors to mingle. Turn off the stove and allow to cool.12. To the cooled mushrooms, add yogurt.13. Mix well and serve with rice or roti.
Tasty and easy curry ready.
7 Responses to Healthy Mushroom Masala
Excellent side dish for rotis..
Delicious and flavorful mushroom masala.. I too make it similarly..
Yum I love this. How was your trip
Trip was good. Hectic as always
how was ur trip to India….hope u had lot of fun….nice welcome bk mushroom masala…luv mushrooms as always!
“Healthy Recipe Substitution” HRS EVENT Dec 20th to Mar 20th
SYF&HWS – Cook With SPICES” Series
South Indian Cooking
Love it any time with chappathis. I’m happy that you are back to square pics instead of ribbon-like cropped pics Vardhini.