First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone. For this month’s We Knead to Bake, we are baking Julekake, that is a rich holiday bread flavored with cardamom and is traditionally served at Christmas in many Scandinavian countries. Some popular additions to the bread are raisins, candied orange peel, and colored candied peel. I have used only raisins here. Also, you can either top it with almonds like I have done or pour icing over it. Since people at home are not fond of sweet bread I skipped the icing and used almonds. The bread is extremely soft and the raisins added a wonderful flavor to the bread. I found that the bread tasted even better the next day. Off to the recipe. (Partially adapted from the Great Scandinavian Baking Book by Beatrice Ojakangas).
Norwegian Cardamom Scented Christmas Bread.
- yeast - 1 tsp (original recipe called for 2 tsp)
- water - 1/4 cup - lukewarm
- milk - 1/2 cup - lukewarm
- egg - 1
- butter - 3 tbsp
- sugar - 1/4 cup
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- cardamom - 4 - 5 pods - powdered
- bread flour - 2 1/2 cups
- raisins - 1/4 cup
- almonds - as needed for topping
Make a dough with all ingredients except almonds. Knead until the dough is soft and pliable. Allow dough to rise until doubled.
Deflate the dough and shape into a ball. Place on a greased baking sheet and allow to rise again.
When doubled, brush with egg or milk. Sprinkle chopped almonds or crushed sugar cubes. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 30 minutes until the bread is golden brown and done.
If the bread is browning too quickly, cover it with foil after about 15 minutes in the oven and continue to bake. Remove from oven and allow to cool thoroughly before slicing.
For Icing mix the below ingredients until you have an icing of pouring consistency. Then pour over the bread and allow to set.
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 to 2 tbsp cream or milk
¼ tsp almond extract
The recipe also suggests to reduce the sugar in dough to half if you are planning on using icing. This is so the bread does not turn out too sweet.
1 year ago: German Bee Sting Cake
2 years ago: Carrot Banana Cupcakes
3 years ago: Idli Fry
1. Mix all the ingredients except almonds and make a dough that is soft and pliable. Allow to double.2. Dough doubled and ready.3. Lightly knead the dough and shape into a ball. Place on a greased baking sheet. 4. When doubled, brush with egg or milk. Sprinkle chopped almonds or crushed sugar cubes. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 30 minutes until the bread is golden brown and done.
If the bread is browning too quickly, cover it with foil after about 15 minutes in the oven and continue to bake.5. Out of the oven. Allow to cool and slice.
Yummy bread ready.
Linking to WKTB and Bake Fest #38 hosted here.