This has been the perfect month for the zucchini event and I have been making the most use of the fresh zucchini given by my neighbour Rachel. Thanks Rachel for the fresh vegetables . In one of our conversations, she mentioned zucchini falafel and since I had been waiting to try out falafel with chickpeas, this seemed to be the perfect month for it. I baked a batch and used the kuzhi paniyaram pan (pancake puff) for the remaining. There is not enough binding and deep frying will most likely not work. Since these are not deep fried, they are best eaten when warm. We had a few for snacks and the remaining went inside pita bread spread with hummus. You can find the deep fried version of the falafel here. Off to the recipe.
Healthy Zucchini FalafelPrint Recipe
By July 23, 2012Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 mins
Grated zucchini, chickpeas and spices combine together in this healthy snack.
- 2 cups zucchini (grated)
- 2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo - soaked and cooked or canned)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- Grate the zucchini and add 1/2 tsp salt and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Next squeeze the zucchini to remove as much moisture as possible. If using dry chickpeas, soak overnight and cook or use canned chickpeas.
- Chop coriander leaves and garlic. Grind the cooked chickpeas using very little water.
- To the squeezed zucchini add the chickpea puree, coriander leaves + garlic mixture, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix well.
- Make small balls of the mix and fry them in a kuzhi paniyaram pan (pancake puff pan). You can also flatten the balls, place on a greased baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400F oven for 20 min, flip over and then bake for another 10 - 15 minutes.
- If the mixture is watery, add breadcrumbs.
- Zucchini will cause the mixture to become watery if left out for long, so either make the mix in batches or cook them as soon as possible.
- Do not try to deep fry as the balls will most likely disintegrate due to the lack of enough binding. If deep frying, follow this recipe and replace fava beans with chickpeas.
- While baking, spray on top with cooking spray. This will keep the falafels from drying out.
Healthy baked falafels.