One of the dishes I never fail to order when I go to Chinese restaurant is the one with tofu in it. After a few years of having it at restaurants, I finally decided to try out tofu dishes at home. My favorite method of having tofu is roasting it and soy sauce is a must. It is like tofu and soy sauce always go together in my kitchen. The added bonus is that even the kids love it when it is roasted. Substitute paneer for tofu and it becomes “Chilli Paneer” .
Chilli tofu is a dry dish that goes well with rotis or rice. You can make it fiery hot or keep it mild. Off to the recipe.
Chilli TofuPrint Recipe
By July 20, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 60 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 mins
Marinated tofu roasted and mixed with veggies and sauce.
- 16 oz box tofu (firm)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (divided - 1 tbsp for marinating tofu and 1 for veggies)
- 4 tsp chilli sauce (divided - 1 tsp for marinating tofu and 3 tsp for veggies)
- 2 tsp ginger paste (divided - 1 tsp for marinating tofu and 1 for veggies)
- 2 tsp garlic paste (divided - 1 tsp for marinating tofu and 1 for veggies)
- pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 1.5 cups bell pepper (chopped)
- 3/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce (I pureed crushed tomatoes)
- spring onion (for garnish)
- Press tofu for 30 minutes to remove moisture. Cube the tofu and add 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp chilli sauce, 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp garlic paste and turmeric to it. Mix and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Place the tofu in a baking sheet and bake in a 375F preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes turning once in the middle.
- Heat oil and add onions, bell peppers, tomato sauce, 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp garlic paste, 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp chilli sauce. Cook until the vegetables are cooked, but still crunchy.
- Add the roasted tofu and mix well. Garnish with spring onions if needed.
- To press the tofu, take few paper towels and place the tofu over it. Place a plate on the tofu and keep something heavy over the plate. This will help remove some moisture from the tofu.
- Use pepper if needed for extra heat.
- Paneer can be used instead of tofu.
Tempting chilli tofu ready.
Linking to Dish-it-Out – Paneer/Tofu and Bell Peppers hosted by Usha.
Kitchen Chronicles – Only Vegan
13 Responses to Chilli Tofu
Although not a vegetarian, I love vegetables. I love tofu because it is so versatile. My daughter said she hated tofu. I prepared Italian-style stuffed shells substituting mashed tofu for the cheese. She not only loved it but commented “Why can’t we have this more often?” I didn’t spill the beans, so to speak.
Tofu can be used in so many ways, it is a wonderful product and of course a great source of protein.
Delicious looking tofu. Simple and Tasty!
Would be a yummy accompaniment for fried rice
Simple, healthy and full of proteins .. love the dish
Delicious…The pics are so tempting!
Thank you for the great recipe, the pictures of the food are excellent. When using firm tofu, I like to use my EZ Tofu Press, it allows me to get the water out in 15 min while prepping the meal.
Wow… this looks super delicious.
Chili tofu looks spicy and delicious! Thanks for linking to the event.
my fav-looks well done
Neat and detailed presentation …
New follower of your blog Vardhini :-0
Plz visit mine in your spare time
Instant Amla Pickle (beauty therapy)
Oh now chilli paneer sounds good and I have some paneer in the fridge. Fab!
Yummy and spicy dish..love it.
Such a tempting dish.. Love the presentation.
Divya’s Culinary Journey
Showcase- FUN IN THE SUN
Bake along challenge # 4 – Peanut Butter
Love lock series- Breads