Another one in the Mediterranean series is the hummus. This is a dip made using chickpeas (garbanzo). Being a huge garbanzo fan, it is not a surprise that I love this dip. It can be used over pita bread or even regular bread and is very easy to make. Hummus is also a nice dip to go with veggies like carrots, cauliflower and broccoli. This is a basic version and there are tons of variations to jazz it up. I got this recipe from my friend as part of my Mediterranean spree a few months ago. K had been asking me to make it again ever since and I recently made it again with some variations listed in the notes section. Off to the recipe.
- 1.5 cups cooked garbanzo (canned will also work)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini( store bought or home made sesame paste – refer to notes)
- 1/4 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- If using dry garbanzo, soak overnight and then pressure cook.
- To make sesame paste at home, dry roast a cup of sesame seeds and allow to cool. Take in a food processor or blender and add 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil and make a paste.
- You can add roasted red bell pepper for a variation.
- I added chilly powder and cumin powder for a batch and it was good.
- For another batch I added pickled jalapenos. You can also add regular jalapenos.
Healthy and tasty dip ready to have with pita bread or regular bread.
17 Responses to Hummus (Chickpea|Garbanzo Dip)
hi vardhi i tried this today it came out veryyyyyyyy well
thank you very much
I love hummus, and was always on the lookout for an easy recipe, thanks so much!
i love hummus too, its healthy and tasty and nothing beats crisp chips with hummus
Healthy and lovely dip.
I love snacking on hummus and pita bread. The dip looks good and I like the thick texture of your hummus.
Thanks for the delicious entry dear.
Very healthy and yummy dip.
Cuisine Delights My Monthly Event – Spotlight : “Healthy Breakfast Ideas”.
delicious recipe… looks fantastic….
Do link your entries to my first blog event: Guest Quest
wow lovely hummus recipe
will def try this helathy n yummy one
Looks very delicious.. one of my favorite dips!!
Need some tortilla chips to have with this incredible hummus..
love hummus anytime as a dip for my carrots
My fav. one. looks so yummy. You can send it to my Flavours of Lebanon event.
yummy and delicious dip,lovely clicks…
hw to make tahini paste….pls.
Dry roast sesame seeds and allow to cool. Make a paste in a food processor using olive oil. For 1 cup of sesame seeds, use 1/3 to1/2 cup olive oil.