I had always wanted to do paneer bhurji, but kept postponing it. When Usha decided on tofu and bell peppers for dish-it-out event, I immediately knew what I was going to make for it. There is also something about the tofu and soy sauce combo that makes me love tofu even more. The result is that I never make tofu without soy sauce . You can add any vegetable you wish and have it as a side dish or use it as a filling for burritos and so on. Substitute paneer for tofu to make paneer bhurji. Off to the recipe.
Scrambled tofu mixed with onions and bell peppers and soy sauce.
- oil - 1.5 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp (kadugu)
- urad dal - 1 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- bell pepper - 1 cup - chopped
- green chilly - 3
- tomatoes - 1 small
- tofu - 1.5 cups - scrambled
- turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
- salt - to taste
- soy sauce - 1 - 2 tsp
Press tofu for around 30 minutes to remove excess moisture. (Keep the tofu over a few paper towels and place something heavy on top of it.) Scramble and keep aside.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal. When the dal turns golden brown add onions, bell peppers, green chillies and tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle some chilly powder if using.
Add the scrambled tofu, turmeric and salt.
Mix well and add soy sauce. Cook for 2 minutes and turn off the stove.
- To press the tofu – Keep the tofu over a few paper towels and place something heavy on top of it.
- Substitute paneer for tofu to make paneer bhurji.