This is a simple South Indian gravy that goes well with rice. It sure brings nostalgic memories of my childhood . I usually cook the beans in bulk and keep in freezer; that makes making this gravy even easy. You can also serve this gravy with idli, dosai, etc. Off to the recipe.
Gravy with eggplant and legumes.
- oil - 1 tbsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- onion - 1 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 1 cup - chopped
- eggplant - 3 cups - diced into big chunks
- mochakottai - 2 cups (cooked)
- tamarind - small piece (soaked and water strained)
- water - 3 cups
- salt - to taste
- sambar powder - 2 tsp (adjust to taste)
- turmeric - a pinch
- coconut - 4 tbsp (ground to a paste with water)
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add onion and cook until onions are done.
Add tomatoes, eggplant, mochakottai and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except coconut and cook for about 10 minutes.
Now, add the coconut paste and simmer for about 5 minutes. Serve with rice or roti.
2 years ago: Quinoa Fried Rice
3 years ago: Baked Doughnuts
4 years ago: Healthy Potato Salad
5 years ago: Broccoli Paruppu Usili
1. Grind coconut to a paste using water.2. Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Add onions and cook until onions are done.3. Add tomatoes, eggplant, mochakottai. Mix well.4. After about 5 minutes add tamarind water, salt, water, sambar powder and turmeric. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes.5. Add the coconut paste and simmer for 5 minutes.6. Kuzhambu ready. Serve with rice.
Tasty kuzhambu ready.