I have to admit that celery is not on the list of vegetables that I buy at the store. So, I have to come up with different things to make with celery when I end up with it through bountiful baskets. We do not eat ants on a log or anything that has to do with raw celery either. What a task and thankfully the black beans came to the rescue this time. The rice was easy to make and there were no complaints. One more celery recipe added to the collection . I usually cook black beans or any legume in bulk and freeze in ziploc bags and it comes in handy in a number of recipes. Off to the recipe.
Celery Black Bean Rice
Rice with celery and black beans.
- oil - 2 tbsp
- cinnamon - small piece
- cloves - 2
- fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- green chilly - 3
- celery - 1 1/2 cup - chopped
- black beans - 1 cup - cooked
- water - 3 cups
- basmati rice - 1 1/2 cup
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - to taste
- mint - 1 tsp (I used mint powder)
- spring onion - to garnish
Heat oil. Add cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, onion, ginger-garlic paste and chilly. Saute until onions are cooked.
Add the rest of the ingredients except spring onion. Cover and cook until rice is done.
Garnish with spring onion and serve with raita or chips.
I used STEAM 1 min Low Pressure setting in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. I did a quick release after 10 minutes.
1 year ago: Sweet Potato Paratha
2 years ago: Green Tomato Bread
3 years ago: Cauliflower Mushroom Curry
4 years ago: Buttermilk Biscuits
5 years ago: Palak Paneer
1. Heat oil. Add cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, onion, ginger-garlic paste and chilly. Saute until onions are cooked.2. Add celery and cooked black beans.3. Add water and rice.4. Add salt, chilly powder and mint leaves or powder. Cover and cook until basmati rice is cooked. 5. Rice is cooked. Fluff and garnish with cilantro or spring onion and serve with raita.
Tasty rice ready.