I got this recipe from my friend last summer when we both had a ton of tomatoes in the garden. Other than the usual kootu I did not have many recipes with raw tomatoes and was thrilled to know about this bread. Nobody would even guess that the bread has green tomatoes .The bread was moist and the chocolate chips added the right amount of sweetness. I am planning to replace green tomatoes with strawberries since they are in season now. Will update this post when I do so. Off to the recipe. Recipe adapted from here.
Moist bread with green tomatoes and chocolate chips.
- all purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
- baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- baking powder - 1/8 tsp
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- tomatoes - 1 cup - chopped finely (green tomatoes)
- eggs - 1
- oil - 1/2 cup
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- sugar - 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup
- walnuts - 1/2 cup - chopped
- vanilla extract - 1/2 tbsp
- chocolate chips - 1/4 cup
Mix dry ingredients and keep aside. Mix the remaining ingredients except chocolate chips in a bowl. Add the dry ingredients and mix gently. Next add the chocolate chips and mix.
Pour batter into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 55 min until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Allow to cool. Slice and serve.
Do not over mix the batter.
1 year ago: Aloo Gobi Fry
2 years ago: Basic Tomato Sauce
3 years ago: Semiya Payasam
1. Mix all purpose flour, baking soda baking powder and cinnamon.2. Take remaining ingredients in a bowl except chocolate chips.3. Mix with a spatula.4. Add the dry ingredients.5. Mix gently until combined.6. Add chocolate chips.7. Mix gently.8. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Bake at 350F for about 55 min until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.9. Out of the oven. Allow to cool and slice.
Tomato bread ready.
Linking to Bake Fest #30 happening here.