“Aloo” means potato and “Saag” is a leaf-based dish. We combine spinach puree and roasted potatoes in this side dish that goes well with rice or roti. There are a few steps involved in the recipe, but the end product is worth the effort. You can use any greens of choice instead of spinach. Off to the recipe.
Roasted potatoes in spinach gravy.
- potatoes - 2 cups (boiled potatoes cut into cubes)
- oil - 1 tbsp + 2 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- onion - 1 cup - finely chopped
- garlic - few cloves - chopped
- spinach - 6 cups fresh spinach - blanched and pureed
- coriander powder - 2 tsp
- chilly powder - to taste
- turmeric - a pinch
- ginger paste - 1 tsp
- salt - to taste
- cilantro - few sprigs
Blanch spinach. Puree and keep aside. Shallow fry the potato cubes in a tbsp of oil.
Heat oil and add cumin seeds, onion and garlic. When onions are cooked add the spinach puree, coriander powder, chilly powder, turmeric, ginger paste and salt.
After about 5 minutes add the roasted potatoes and 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for about 10 minutes and turn off the stove. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice or roti.
2 years ago: Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus
3 years ago: Kara Boondi
4 years ago: Savory Scallion Cilantro Scones
1. Blanch spinach. Cool and puree.2. Shall fry cooked potatoes in a tbsp of oil.3. Potatoes are ready.4. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Add onions and garlic.5. Saute until onions are cooked.6. Add the spinach puree. Add coriander powder, chilly powder, turmeric, ginger paste and salt.7. After about 5 minutes add potatoes and about 1/2 cup water.8. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice or roti.
Tasty dish ready.