While growing up, our breakfast was typical Indian stuff and I can safely say that we did not try any other cuisine at home. After moving to the US, the lack of Indian stores and restaurants prompted me to cook dishes from a variety of cuisines and the family is particularly fond of Mexican and Italian. Breakfast burritos are typically made with eggs and potatoes. I decided to use tofu that was made using this recipe instead of eggs. Since tofu is rich in protein, it makes for a perfect egg substitute if you do not eat eggs. Breakfast burritos were introduced to me during an office potluck and it has become my favorite since. The filling is versatile and you can use frozen hashbrowns, scrambled eggs, etc. The burritos were served with a side of colored pepper salsa and it was an instant hit. Off to the recipe.
Breakfast burrito with tofu and potatoes.
- For Tofu Bhurji
- oil - 1.5 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp (kadugu)
- urad dal - 1 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- bell pepper - 1 cup - chopped
- green chilly - 3
- tomatoes - 1 small
- tofu - 1.5 cups - scrambled
- turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
- salt - to taste
- soy sauce - 1 - 2 tsp
- For Potato Fry
- oil - 2 - 3 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp (jeeragam)
- potatoes - 2 cups - diced
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- For Burrito
- burritos - as needed
- cheese - as needed
Prepare the bhurji following this link.
For potato fry, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Add potatoes, salt and chilly powder. Sprinkle water and allow the potatoes to cook.
Assemble the burrito with bhurji, potato fry and cheese. Roll it up and grill if needed.
Replace tofu with eggs if needed.
1 year ago: Tomato Lentil Gravy (Sambar)
2 years ago: Potatoes in Tomato Gravy
1. Prepare the bhurji following this link.2. Heat oil and add cumin seeds.3. Add potato, salt and chilly powder. 4. Sprinkle some water and allow the potatoes to cook.5. Potatoes are cooked.6. Take a burrito. Spread the bhurji and potato mixture.7. Top with some cheese.8. Fold the sides.9. Roll into a burrito.10. We like our burritos grilled. To grill, I normally place the burrito on a cast iron pan and place a panini press over it.11. Grill until both sides are golden brown.
Tasty burrito ready.