We got our first bountiful basket last week and honey dew melon was offered among other fruits and veggies. Since melon is normally not on my shopping list, I wanted to make something for the blog. Added to it, we are finally seeing green tomatoes and a few red ones in the plants. Cruising the net for recipes, I came across this one and was happy to see the use of green tomatoes too. Salads are pretty simple and this one is no exception. The pine nuts add a nice crunch to the salad and cumin adds an earthy flavor. Off to the recipe. Recipe adapted from here.
Honey Dew Melon - Green Tomato Salad
Salad with honeydew melon and green tomatoes.
- For Salad
- honeydew melon - 1 cup - chopped into cubes
- tomatoes - 1/3 cup - diced (green tomatoes)
- cilantro - 2 tbsp - chopped
- jalapeno - as needed
- pine nuts - 1 tbsp
- cilantro - 1 - 2 tbsp for garnish
- For Dressing
- olive oil - 2 tsp
- lemon juice - 1 tsp
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- cumin powder - 1 tsp (I roasted cumin seeds and powdered them)
Dry roast cumin seeds and powder the seeds. You can also use store bought cumin powder. Dry roast pine nuts and keep aside.
Mix ingredients for salad dressing. Take the salad ingredients in a bowl and pour the dressing over it. Toss to combine. Garnish with cilantro.
2 years ago: Orzo (Pasta) - Vegetable Soup
3 years ago: Baked Sesame Cigars
1. Dry roast cumin seeds if using. Pound the seeds in a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle.2. Dry roast pine nuts.3. Mix ingredients for salad dressing.4. Take the salad ingredients in a bowl. Pour the dressing over it.5. Toss to combine. Garnish with cilantro.
Healthy salad ready.
2 Responses to HoneyDew Melon and Green Tomato Salad
Very fruity,different and definitely a delicious salad.
Healthy Salad…visit my space too