Orzo is a small rice shaped pasta and is perfect for soups. Being pasta lovers, I bought this cute pasta months ago and tucked it away in the pantry. Only recently while looking for something else I saw this box and decided to make soup with it. Isn’t it always the case that we find a lot of stuff when we keep looking for something else? Added to that I seem to put things away during a cleanup spree and then forget where they are. But, the prompt answer K gets while looking for stuff is, “I have kept it away in a safe place” .
The soup is easy to make and you can use any choice of vegetables. The pasta cooks very fast and resembles rice. Add some bread or salad and you have a meal ready. Off to the recipe.
Orzo - Vegetable SoupPrint Recipe
By July 28, 2012Published:
- Yield: 3 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 40 mins
Healthy soup with orzo pasta and vegetables.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup onions (chopped)
- 3/4 cup tomatoes (chopped - I used canned tomatoes)
- 3 cups water
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup pasta (orzo)
- 3 cups broccoli
- 1/4 cup carrots (chopped)
- Heat oil and add garlic and onions. Saute until onions are done.
- Add tomates, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the orzo pasta and cook for 3 minutes. Then add the broccoli and carrots and cook until the orzo pasta is done. (Follow the time on pasta package). Garnish with spring onions if needed.
Healthy bowl of orzo soup.