Brown rice has a lot of fiber and is certainly healthier than white rice and I have finally joined the brown rice bandwagon. To start with, I went with basmati variety. The rice had a nutty taste and my first recipe was a brown rice bean soup that I will post soon.
Adai can be best described as a savory pancake made using rice and lentils. The other picky eaters got introduced to brown rice through this adai. No one knew it was brown rice adai and for a change I added broccoli instead of the usual onion making it more healthy. Adai does not require fermentation and the batter is ready to use as soon as it is made. Off to the recipe.
Healthy protein packed pancakes with brown rice, lentils and broccoli.
- brown rice - 1 cup (I used brown basmati rice)
- toor dal - 1/2 cup (thuvaram paruppu)
- channa dal - 1/2 cup (kadala paruppu)
- red chillies - 4
- curry leaves - few
- salt - to taste
- asafoetida - a pinch
- broccoli - 1 cup - chopped finely
- oil - as needed - about 1 tsp per adai
Soak rice for about 4 hours and lentils for about 2 hours. Grind with red chillies and curry leaves to a batter that is slightly thicker than dosai batter.
Add salt, asafoetida and chopped broccoli to the batter and mix well.
Heat a tawa and pour a ladle of batter on it and spread to form a circle. Pour about a tsp of oil around the edges. Flip over and cook for a few minutes. Flip over again and when both sides are golden brown, adai is done.
Serve warm with chutney of choice or aviyal.
1. Adai took longer to cook and needed a tad extra oil than regular adai.
2. Onions can be added instead of broccoli.
1 year ago: Orzo Pasta Vegetable Soup
2 years ago: Kanchipuram Idli
1. Soak the rice for about 4 hours and the lentils for about 2 hours.2. Take rice, lentils, red chillies and curry leaves in a blender.3. Blend well using water. The batter should be slightly thicker than regular dosai batter.4. To the batter add salt, asafoetida and chopped broccoli.5. Mix well.6. Heat a tawa and pour a ladle of batter on it and spread to form a circle. Pour about a tsp of oil around the edges.7. Flip over in a few minutes.8. Flip over again in a few minutes. When both sides are golden brown, adai is ready. Serve warm with chutney or aviyal.
Healthy adai ready. We had it with aviyal.