The weather has been perfect for this soup. A high of mid 50s followed by a blizzard watch sounded weird to me and I was looking out to see if we were really going to get the predicted snow. Well, it finally happened and in a matter of minutes the streets turned white. Now, that has to be perfect for soup right.
In spite of soups being easy to put together I make it rarely because I am not a huge soup fan. I do love minestrone soup though. After repeated requests from K, I am finally including a few soups here and there. This soup had been on my list for a long time and while looking through the collection of cook books I spotted this. Made it and enjoyed it. Recipe adapted from Mallika Badrinath book. Off to the recipe.
Easy and tasty hot and sour soup.
- oil - 1/4 tsp
- ginger - small piece - cut into strips
- spring onion - 3 - chop and keep the white and green portion separately
- carrots - 1/2 cup - cut into thin strips
- bell pepper - 1/4 cup - cut into thin strips
- beans - 1/4 cup - cut into thin strips
- cabbage - 1/2 cup - sliced thinly
- water - 3 cups
- soy sauce - 2 tbsp
- sugar - 1/2 tsp
- corn starch - 1.5 tsp (mix corn starch with a little water)
- pepper - to taste
Heat oil and saute ginger and the white portion of spring onions for a minute. Next add the remaining vegetables and saute until the vegetables are half cooked.
Add water, soy sauce, sugar, corn starch water and pepper powder. Simmer until the vegetables are cooked. Add the green portion of the spring onions and turn the stove off.
1. Chilli sauce can also be added instead of pepper powder.
2. If using corn flour instead of corn starch, use 1 tbsp.
3. Tofu and mushrooms can also be added.
4. Soy sauce has enough salt. Taste and add more if needed.
1 year ago: Capsicum Curry
1. Heat oil and add ginger and the white portion of spring onion. Saute for a minute.2. Add the vegetables.3. Saute until the vegetables are half cooked.4. Add water and soy sauce.5. Add sugar.6. Add corn starch water.7. Add pepper. Mix and simmer for a few minutes.8. When the vegetables are cooked, add the green portion of the spring onion and turn the stove off.
Tasty soup ready.