Kootu is basically a gravy with lentils and vegetables. Dal is a staple in my house and it is part of the menu every day. In my opinion, even a boring vegetable gets a boost with the addition of dal. This is a dish that my mom makes and it goes well with rice or rotis. It is simple with capsicum and lentil being the stars and involves no grinding or masalas. We can use any dal for kootu, but the most common one is moong dal. I just counted and this is the 7th kootu in the blog .
Since I have been praising the dal, a small tip. If you do not have enough of a particular vegetable to make a fry, just add some cooked dal preferably channa dal to the fry. Off to the recipe.
Green Capsicum Kootu
- moong dal - 1/2 cup (payatham paruppu)
- oil - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp (kadugu)
- red chillies - 4
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 1/2 cup - chopped
- bell pepper - 2.5 cups - diced (Green - About 2 large bell peppers)
- turmeric - a pinch
- salt - to taste
Cook dal and keep aside.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add red chilies and onions. When onions are cooked, add the tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes turn mushy.
Add the bell peppers, salt and turmeric powder. When the bell pepper is cooked, add the cooked dal. Dilute with water if needed and turn off the stove after a couple of minutes.
1. I used about a cup of water to dilute the kootu. You may need more or less water depending on if the dal is thick or is already on the watery side.
1 year ago: Idli Milagai Podi
1. Cook moong dal and keep aside.2. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add red chillies.3. Add onions.4. Saute until onions are cooked.5. Add tomatoes.6. Saute until tomatoes turn mushy.7. Add the diced bell pepper.8. Add salt and turmeric powder. 9. When the bell pepper is cooked, add the cooked dal.10. Dilute with water if needed. Turn off the stove after a couple of minutes.
We had the yummy kootu with kuzhambu rice.
6 Responses to Green Capsicum Kootu (Bell Pepper Kootu | Lentil Gravy)
How long are you supposed to cook the moong dal for?
I use a pressure cooker and cook for about 3 whistles. (10 minutes after the pressure builds up). If you are using a regular vessel, cook the dal until it starts to get mushy.
such a simple everyday koot, love it
hmmm…u have nice kootu recipes with interesting vegetables combo…love this one with capsicum…looks yummy!!
lovely and delicious gravy.