Baking after a span of 2 months did feel great . Carrot cake is K’s favorite and it has been on my list for a long time. I am just waiting for an occasion so the cake can be shared with friends. As much as K loves it, I would not want him to eat the cake all by himself given that I do not have a sweet tooth.
But these cupcakes seemed too hard to resist and I gave in. I halved the original recipe and made a ton of changes following the basic fat and egg substitutions to make it a tad healthy and to also suit the ingredients in the pantry. The cream cheese frosting was perfect and the cupcakes were moist. Off to the recipe. Recipe inspired by the carrot cupcake recipe from Taste of Home Annual Recipes 2006.
Carrot Banana Cupcakes
Tasty and moist cupcakes with carrots, bananas, flax and more.
- all purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup
- baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- cinnamon - 1 tsp
- eggs - 1
- sugar - 3/4 cup
- oil - 1/4 cup
- banana - 1/4 cup - puree of one banana
- carrots - 1.5 cups - grated
- flax meal - 1 tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp water
- For Frosting
- cream cheese - 4 oz
- butter - 2 tbsp
- powdered sugar - 1 cup (confectioner's sugar)
Combine the first 6 ingredients and keep aside.
Beat sugar, oil and egg. Add banana puree and mix. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Stir in carrots followed by flax mixture. Fill greased muffin cups to about 2/3 full.
Bake in a preheated 325F oven for 25- 30 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool and prepare the frosting.
For frosting beat cream cheese and butter. Next beat in the powdered sugar. Frost the cooled cup cakes and serve.
1. Take all purpose flour, wheat flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.2. Mix well.3. Take oil, egg and sugar in a bowl.4. Beat well.5. Add banana puree. Beat to combine.6. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.7. Dry and wet ingredients combined.8. Add carrots.9. Stir to combine.10. Add flax meal + water mixture. Mix.11. Fill the greased muffin cups to about 2/3 full. Bake in a 325F preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.12. Out of the oven. Cool for 5 minutes before moving to wire racks.13. For frosting take cream cheese and butter in a bowl.14. Beat well.15. Add powdered sugar.16. Beat well and frost the cup cakes after they have cooled.17. Frosted cup cakes ready.
Tasty cupcakes ready.
Sending to Bake Fest #14 and Foodomania.
5 Responses to Carrot Banana Cupcakes
I will definitely try out your recipes, they are very nice and the blog looks like a sincere effort.
Carrot and banana healthy and yum combo!!
Wow those cupcakes are real cuties….
Carrot cakes are my favorite too.. These cupcakes look cute and delicious..