Time for an easy poriyal (fry). I feel the carrots we get here are too sweet and while some might like that, I do not have a sweet tooth. That being said, we mostly eat carrots in the raw form with some lemon juice and green chillies. Of course the carrots are shredded. Refrigerate it and it tastes even better .
This poriyal is one that my mom makes to go with rasam rice. Garlic adds a nice flavor to the carrots and it is very easy to put together for a quick meal. Off to the recipe.
Simple carrot-garlic fry.
- oil - 1.5 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- urad dal - 1/2 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- onion - 1/4 cup - chopped
- garlic - 3 cloves
- green chilly - 2
- carrots - 1.5 cups - diced
- salt - to taste
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add dal and saute until it turns golden brown. Next add onions, garlic and green chillies.
When the onions are cooked, add the carrots and salt. Sprinkle some water if needed and turn off the stove when the carrots are cooked.
1. Do not overcook the carrots.
2. Adjust the quantity of garlic to taste.
1 year ago: Pani Puri
1. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds.2. Add urad dal.3. Saute until the dal turns golden brown.4. Add onions, green chillies and garlic.5. Saute until onions are cooked.6. Add carrots.7. Add salt. Sprinkle some water if needed and allow the carrots to cook.8. Turn off the stove when the carrots are cooked.
Healthy poriyal ready.