There was a period a couple of months ago, where I was baking with yeast very often. The temperatures are close to 100F now and I have been baking less these days. My kids love yeast breads and I decided to stuff the buns with vegetables, so I could sneak in some healthy stuff. The filling is basically the same one I use for veggie puffs. You could use any filling of choice and any veggie of choice. The pictures are reminding me of the buns and I have to make some soon . Off to the recipe.
Stuffed BunsPrint Recipe
By July 16, 2012Published:
- Yield: 12 buns
- Prep: 2 hrs 30 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 3 hrs 0 min
Buns stuffed with mixed vegetables.
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1.25 tsp instant yeast (refer to notes below)
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1.5 cups potatoes (diced)
- 1/4 cup cauliflower (chopped)
- 1/4 cup carrot (diced)
- 1/4 cup peas (cooked or frozen)
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- pinch of turmeric
- salt (to taste)
- Prepare the dough as shown in calzone recipe. Allow to rise just once.
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and saute until it turns golden brown. Add onions and saute until it is done.
- Add the vegetables, salt, turmeric, chilly powder and garam masala. Sprinkle water for the vegetables to cook. When the vegetables are cooked, mash and keep aside.
- Take the dough and divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a small circle and place a tablespoon of the filling in the center. Bring the edges together and seal on top by pinching. Repeat for all pieces.
- Place the stuffed balls in a lightly greased baking sheet and allow to rise again. It took around an hour for the balls to double up in size.
- Brush with egg white or milk and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25 - 30 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- If using active dry yeast, proof it first with some warm water and sugar and then add to flour. You can add the same amount of yeast as mentioned. For proofing : Mix active dry yeast, little luke warm water(about 1 oz.) and sugar. When it gets frothy, add to the flour. Skip adding sugar to the flour since we have already added it for proofing.
Prepare dough following calzone recipe. Allow it to rise once.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal.
Tasty buns ready.