Only in the past few years I have been experimenting with North Indian dishes, thanks to my friend Shai. Dal Makhani is basically a lentil based dish where the lentils are cooked, mashed and simmered with tomato puree and spices. I was surprised at how easy this dish was when I got the recipe from her. You do need some prep time to soak the lentils, but the cooking process is very simple. I have used fat free half and half and a little butter since the lentils add the needed creaminess to the dish. You can add as much butter as you like and go for full fat half and half or even cream. Dal Makhani with Jeera Rice is my favorite combo. The dish tastes great even with rotis. Off to the recipe.
Dal MakhaniPrint Recipe
By July 12, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 10 hrs 0 min
- Cook: 1 hr 15 mins
- Ready In: 11 hrs 15 mins
Cooked and mashed lentils simmered with Indian spices.
- 3/4 cup black gram dal (soaked for 10 - 12 hours)
- 3 tbsp dry kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- chilly powder (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1/2 cup half and half (I used fat free)
- Soak black gram dal for 10 - 12 hours and kidney beans for around 8 hours.
- Add salt and chilly powder to the black gram dal and cook the dal and kidney beans separately. After cooking, coarsely mash the black gram dal and keep aside.
- Heat butter and add tomato puree, ginger paste, garlic paste and the mashed black gram dal and cooked kidney beans.
- Add salt and chilly powder and simmer for around 20 minutes. Finally add the fat free half and half.
Dal Makhani ready and is a perfect side dish to rice or rotis.
Linking to HITS – Lentils and Legumes started by Sangee.
6 Responses to Dal Makhani (Low Fat)
dal looks wonderful healthy side
Nutritious and protein rich dal makhani.
Dal makhani n jeera rice is my fav combo too…looks so delicious n inviting!
Thanks so much for sending it to HITS series!
Lovely Makhani, I have one in my draft still I haven’t posted, beautiful step-wise clicks dear
Looks delish!! Loving the colour this dal has got!!
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe, I will try it.