For this month’s We Knead to Bake, we were given the choice to bake any stuffed, pretty bread. I already had this bread sitting in my drafts and it made the job easier for me. I have used a standard Indian filling, but you could use any filling of choice. Just make sure the filling is dry, so it does not ooze out. Also, a stiffer dough would help in braiding. Each bite had the goodness of the filling and it was a fun evening snack. Off to the recipe.
Braided bread stuffed with potato filling.
- For Dough
- olive oil - 4 tsp
- water - 2 1/4 cups - luke warm
- salt - 1 tsp
- sugar - 1 tsp
- whole wheat flour - 2 1/2 cups
- bread flour - 2 1/2 cups
- yeast - 1 1/2 tsp
- For Filling
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- urad dal - 1 tsp
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- potatoes - 2 cups - cooked and mashed coarsely
- peas - 1 cup (I used frozen)
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- coriander powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- turmeric - a pinch
Make the dough and knead until soft. Allow to rise until doubled.
While dough is rising prepare the filling. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal; when dal turns golden brown add the onions. When onion is cooked add the remaining filling ingredients.
Saute until the filling comes together and is cooked. Allow to cool.
Divide dough into three portions. Roll each piece into an oval roughly. Place the mixture in the middle and cut lines as shown in the image.
Start braiding from one end by placing the strips one on top of the other. (Alternate with strips from each side). Tuck the edges in if needed. Allow to rise again. Repeat with remaining dough.
After about an hour, brush dough with milk and bake in a 375F preheated oven for about 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Allow to cool and serve.
2 years ago: Spring Onion Masala Paratha
3 years ago: Kadai Paneer
1. Make a dough using the dough ingredients and knead until you have a soft dough. Allow to rise until doubled. While dough is rising prepare the filling.2. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal.3. When the dal turns golden brown add the onions and saute until onions are cooked.4. Add the rest of the ingredients.5. Saute until the vegetables are cooked. Allow to cool.6. Divide dough into 3 portions. Roll each into an oval.7. Place filling in the middle as shown.8. Cut lines diagonally using a knife or pizza cutter as shown.9. Braid from one end. Place strips one on top of each. (Alternate strips from each side)10. All braided and ready. Tuck the ends in if needed. Allow to rise for an hour.11. Brush with milk and bake in a preheated 375F oven for about 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.12. Out of the oven.
Yummy snack ready.