This is a healthy soup loaded with vegetables and split peas. The peas cook very fast and in fact it became very mushy the first time I made it. We topped the soup with roasted tofu and had a side of baguette. It was a fun and filling dinner. Any vegetables of choice can be used and this is a one pot meal perfect for week nights. Off to the recipe.
Soup with split peas and vegetables.
- olive oil - 1 tbsp
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- garlic - 6 cloves - minced
- ginger - small piece - minced finely
- tomatoes - 3/4 cup - chopped
- carrots - 3/4 cup - diced
- bell pepper - 3/4 cup - diced
- split peas - 1 1/2 cups
- oregano - 1 tsp
- rosemary - few sprigs
- basil - 1 tsp
- bay leaf - 1
- salt - to taste
- turmeric - a pinch
- cumin powder - 1 tbsp (adjust to taste)
- chilly powder - 1/4 tsp (adjust to taste)
- water - 6 cups
- cilantro - to garnish
Heat oil and saute onions, ginger and garlic. Add the rest of the ingredients except cilantro and cook until the split peas are tender. Garnish with cilantro.
I used a pressure cooker and it took only few minutes to cook.
2 years ago: Black Beans Soup
3 years ago: Bialys (Chewy Rolls)
4 years ago: Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells
5 years ago: Lasagna Cups
1. Heat oil. Add onion, ginger and garlic. Saute until onions are done.2. Add all the vegetables.3. Add split peas.4. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook until the split peas are done. I used a pressure cooker.5. Garnish with cilantro.
Tasty soup ready.