This is a very tasty potato fry that goes well with rice or roti. Ginger and curry leaves add a ton of flavor to the fry and I love to have this dish with rasam rice. If I don’t want to deal with blending, I add ginger paste and curry leaves powder instead. This is usually made as a dry curry with no onion or tomatoes in my house, but I have added those to make it like a gravy. Adjust the amount of water based on the gravy thickness desired. Off to the recipe.
- To Grind
- curry leaves - generous bunch
- ginger - 1/2 - 1 inch piece
- green chilly - 4 (adjust to taste)
- For Curry
- oil - 2 tbsp
- onion - 2 cups - chopped
- tomatoes - 1 1/2 cups - chopped
- potatoes - 10 medium potatoes (about 7 cups of big chunks)
- salt - to taste
- sambar powder - 1/2 tsp - adjust to taste
- turmeric powder - a pinch
- water - 1/2 - 1 cup (adjust based on thickness desired)
Cook potatoes and cut into big chunks. Grind curry leaves, ginger and green chilly. Keep aside.
Heat oil and saute onions. When onions are done add the tomatoes. When tomatoes turn mushy add the rest of the ingredients.
Simmer for about 20 minutes and serve with rice or roti.
2 years ago: Plain White Bread
3 years ago: Spinach Vadai
4 years ago: Pita Bread
1. Cook potatoes and cut into big chunks.
Grind curry leaves, ginger and green chilly.2. Masala ready.3. Heat oil and saute onions.4. When onions are cooked add the tomatoes.5. When tomatoes turn mushy, add the rest of the ingredients and the paste.6. Mix it all together and simmer for about 20 minutes.7. Potato fry ready.
Tasty fry ready.