Vadai is a deep fried item made with lentils. You have tons of variations just by changing lentils, vegetables and so on. Deep fried items always taste good and these vadais are no exception. I have already posted one version of spinach vadai and this is the second version. The difference is in the lentils used and texture. In this version we use only urad dal and the vadais are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. We make this during festivals and my mom adds onions alone. Sambar and these vadai’s form a lovely combo. My kids loved them and it was a perfect side dish to our sambar rice. Off to the recipe.
Want a bite?
Deep fried fritters made with lentils, spinach and onion.
- urad dal - 1 cup (ulutham paruppu)
- salt - to taste
- asafoetida - pinch
- green chilly - 2
- spinach - 1 cup - chopped spinach (packed)
- onion - 1/4 cup - chopped
- oil - to deep fry
Soak urad dal for a couple of hours. Drain and add salt, asafoetida and green chillies to it. Grind finely using very little water.
To the ground dal, add spinach and onions. Mix well and form patties. Poke a hole in the middle and deep fry them until both sides are nice and brown.
1. While grinding, add just enough water to get the blades moving.
1 year ago: Pita Bread
1. Soak urad dal for a couple of hours.2. To the soaked dal, add asafoetida, salt and green chillies.3. Grind finely using very little water.4. Ground dal.5. Add spinach and onion.6. Mix well.7. Heat oil for deep frying. Take a small portion of the mix and form a patty (vadai) in your palm.8. Poke a hole in the middle.9. Add gently to oil.10. Flip the vadais over after a few minutes.11. When both sides are nice and brown, the vadais are done. Strain on paper towels and enjoy.