We had a couple of friends come over recently and since I did not want to scare them with my trial and errors in bread making, I stuck to the simple plain bread. The inspiration is this oatmeal bread and in this case I just added extra flour. With all the trial and errors I was careful to not add more flour than needed and the result was a soft bread that was a hit with the kids and adults. The original recipe makes two 9 x 5 loaves and I decided to make one big loaf and three mini loaves. My new loaf pan is a bit smaller than 9 x 5 and I had scrammed in too much dough in it. The result was this giant loaf that kept growing like crazy in the oven. We had to slice it in half horizontally since it was so big. It did amuse my friends though . Off to the recipe. Recipe from Betty Crocker book.
Plain White Bread
Plain white bread perfect for sandwiches or snack.
- brown sugar - 3 tbsp
- butter - 3 tbsp (softened)
- salt - 2 - 3 tsp
- milk - 2 cups (luke warm)
- water - 3/4 cup
- yeast - 4 tsp
- bread flour - 5 1/2 - 6 cups
Mix all ingredients and form a dough. Knead until the dough is elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and allow to rise. When doubled punch it down and form loaves following this recipe. This recipe makes two 9 x 5 loaves.
Allow to rise again for about an hour. When the dough rises above the pan, bake in a preheated 375F oven for about 30 minutes. (When done the bread will sound hollow when tapped).
Allow to cool and slice.
1. I use a stand mixer to make dough. Add just enough flour until the dough is no longer sticky. More flour results in a dense bread.
2. To check if bread is done I use a thermometer. The internal temperature should read 190F - 200F.
1 year ago: Jalapeno Corn Bread
2 years ago: Idli Milagai Podi
1. Mix all ingredients and form a dough. Knead until the dough is elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and allow to rise.2. Dough has doubled in volume.3. Form loaves following this recipe. Allow to rise again for about an hour.4. It has risen above the bowl. Bake at 375F for about 30 minutes until it is brown and done. (When done it will sound hollow when tapped).5. Out of the oven.
Bread ready for breakfast.
Linking to Bake Fest#28 hosted by Sangee and Yeastspotting.
7 Responses to Plain White Bread
omg so sos perfectly baked white bread looks fantastic and better than store bought !!
looks very soft and yummy… love the bread with jam…
Looks so soft and want to finish it immediately
That loaf looks just perfect- light and fluffy
Can I use All Purpose flour instead of bread flour?
Yes. (You might need more or less flour since water content varies by flour.)
bread looks so so soft and delicious…loaf looks cute and the slices too