My latest interest has been no-knead bread and I have been bitten by the “Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day” master recipes. You make the dough by mixing all the ingredients (no kneading) and let it sit for 2 hours. You can then use the dough right away or store in the fridge and use it within two weeks. The idea is that you pinch off a portion of the dough and bake bread each day. The process takes five minutes a day, although the resting time is about 60 – 90 minutes. This whole process sounded interesting and I had to try it out.
I started with the basic recipe that uses all-purpose flour. The results were pretty good and I am sure going to be mixing up batches of the dough to prepare bread as and when needed. Even though I have baked a ton of breads involving kneading, this is a different experience and I have been trying out their healthy bread and pizza dough too. There is not much cleanup involved and that helps a lot. Off to the recipe. Recipe from here.
Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day.
- all purpose flour - 6 1/2 cups - unbleached
- water - 3 cups - lukewarm
- salt - 1 tbsp - adjust to taste (kosher salt)
- yeast - 1 tbsp
Measure the flour and keep it ready. Dump all ingredients in a 5 or 6 qt bowl and mix until combined. Leave it on the counter for two hours to rise. Then you can use the dough right away or store in fridge and use it within two weeks.
When ready to use, pinch a grapefruit size ball of dough and form a ball using the gluten-cloak method. Allow the ball to rest for 60 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450F along with a pizza stone for about 30 minutes.
When the dough is ready to go into the oven, slash on top and slide on to the pizza stone. Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes. Allow to cool and slice.
1. Some people use cornmeal to place the formed ball to let it slide easily on to the pizza stone. Parchment paper worked better for me since there is no mess involved. I remove the parchment paper about half way through.
2. The authors suggest heating a broiler pan along with the pizza stone. (DO NOT USE GLASS PAN - IT WILL SHATTER). Once you slide the bread into the oven, add a cup of hot water to the broiler pan. This will create the steam needed for the crispy brown crust.
I did not have a broiler pan and instead covered the bread with a foil lasagna pan for the first 15 minutes. Then removed the pan and parchment paper and let it bake for the remaining time. This was suggested in their website.
1 year ago: Banana Bread with Greek Yogurt
2 years ago: Focaccia caprese
3 years ago: Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
4 years ago: Mor Rasam
1. Take water, salt, yeast and all of the flour in a bowl.2. Mix until combined.3. Allow it to rise for 2 hours. You can use it right away or store in fridge and use it in 2 weeks.4. When ready to use, pinch a grapefruit size dough from the bowl.5. Shape quickly using the gluten-cloak method.6. Allow to rest for about 60 minutes. Meanwhile preheat the oven at 450F along with a pizza stone for about 30 minutes.7. Slash the dough and slide on to the pizza stone. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 - 35 minutes.8. Out of the oven. Allow to cool and slice.
Easy and tasty bread ready.