What do you do with overripe bananas? When we were kids we did not bother about the slight brown patches on the banana, but my kids never touch them. Sometimes I throw them in smoothies or freeze them to make smoothies later. Apart from that, another favorite way to use overripe bananas is to make this delicious bread. I have used greek yogurt in the bread and that makes the bread rich and really fluffy. You can omit it by all means and it will still taste delicious.Rather than baking in the big loaf pan, I prefer to use the mini pan because it yields bite size pieces and it is also easier to freeze or give to friends.
Cinnamon adds a terrific flavor to the baked goods and this bread is no exception. It is totally optional. Off to the recipe.
Banana Bread with Greek Yogurt
- oil - 1/4 cup
- eggs - 1
- greek yogurt - 1/2 cup
- banana - 2 cups - mashed (about 4 - 5 small bananas)
- milk - 1/4 cup
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- all purpose flour - 1 cup
- whole wheat flour - 1 cup
- baking soda - 1 tsp
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- walnuts - 1/2 cup - chopped
- cinnamon - as needed mixed with sugar for topping (optional)
Mix oil, eggs and yogurt. Mash banana and mix with yogurt mixture along with milk and vanilla extract.
Add the dry ingredients along with the nuts. Mix until combined and pour into a 9 x 5 greased loaf pan. Sprinkle some cinnamom + sugar mixture if needed.
Bake at 350F for about an hour until the bread is done. Use a tooth pick to check if the bread is done.
I have used a mini loaf pan and baked for 20 - 25 min.
1. Mix oil, eggs and greek yogurt.2. Mash bananas.3. Add the yogurt mixture to the bananas along with vanilla extract and milk.4. Mix well.5. Add the dry ingredients and nuts.6. Mix until combined.7. Pour in a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. I have used a mini loaf pan here. Sprinkle some cinnamon + sugar mixture on top if desired.
Bake at 350F for about 60 min for a 9 x 5 loaf. For the mini loaves I baked for 20 - 25 minutes.8. Out of the oven. Allow to cool and slice.
Yummy bread ready.
Linking to Bake Fest #40.