Anytime we go to Costco I never fail to grab a big box of baby portabella mushrooms. They seem to taste better than the white button mushrooms for some reason. After breaking my head on what special dish to cook with the same, finally decided on this tasty side with mushrooms and bell peppers. This is similar to the kadai paneer posted earlier and is easy to make. If you have canned tomato puree, that simplifies one step in this recipe. I also make the masala in bulk and it makes it easy to put this dish together in a jiffy. Overall a simple yet exotic gravy that can be made for parties as well. Off to the recipe.
Tasty gravy with mushrooms, spices and more.
- For Masala
- coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
- red chillies - 4
- For Gravy
- oil - 1 tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- onion - 1 cup - chopped
- ginger-garlic paste - 2 tsp
- tomatoes - 1 cup - pureed
- bell pepper - 1/2 cup - diced
- mushrooms - 5 cups - cut into chunks
- turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
- cumin powder - 1 tsp
- kasturi methi - 1 tbsp
- yogurt - 1/4 cup
Homemade yogurt can be made following this link
Blend coriander seeds and red chillies.
Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Next add the masala and saute for a minute. Add onion and ginger-garlic paste and saute until onions are cooked.
Add tomato puree and saute for 5 - 6 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients except kasturi methi and yogurt; saute for about 10 minutes.
Add kasturi methi and yogurt. Mix and turn off the stove. Serve with rice or rotis.
2 years ago: Basic Makhni Gravy
3 years ago: Blueberry Pancakes
1. Blend coriander seeds and red chillies. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Add the powdered coriander seeds and red chillies. Saute for a minute.2. Add onions and ginger-garlic paste.3. Saute until onions are cooked.4. Add the tomato puree.5. Saute for about 5 - 6 minutes.6. Add bell pepper, mushrooms, turmeric, salt, chilly powder and cumin powder.7. Saute for about 10 minutes.8. Add kasturi methi.9. Add yogurt.10. Mix and turn off the stove. Serve with rotis or rice.
Tasty gravy ready.