Although a bit chilly, spring is certainly in the air. The days are getting longer and I had a smile when I realized that there was light when I reached home . Rice is one of the easiest things for me to cook on weeknights and most of the time whatever vegetable is in the fridge gets thrown in. Since snow peas is slightly on the sweeter side, I was a bit hesitant initially to make rice with it. But I am glad I made the rice because we loved it and it tasted great with the mushroom kuruma that I have posted sometime back. You can serve the rice with chips or raita. Off the recipe.
Snow Peas - Soya Chunks Rice
Protein packed rice with snow peas and soya chunks.
- basmati rice - 1.5 cups - uncooked
- oil - 1 tbsp
- cloves - 2
- cinnamon - 1 inch piece
- onion - 1 cup - chopped
- green chilly - 2
- ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp (Ginger-Garlic paste recipe)
- tomatoes - 1 cup - chopped
- snow peas - 1 1/4 cups - thinly sliced (8 oz bag)
- soya chunks - 1.5 cups
- salt - to taste
- turmeric - a pinch
- chilly powder - 3/4 tsp
- coriander powder - 2 tsp
- cilantro - to garnish (coriander leaves)
Cook rice and allow to cool. Add soya chunks to hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes. Squeeze the extra water and cut into small pieces.
Heat oil and add cinnamon and cloves. Next add onions, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. When the onions are cooked, add tomatoes and saute till tomatoes turn mushy.
Next add snow peas, soya chunks, salt, turmeric, chilly powder, coriander powder and about 1/2 cup water for the vegetables to cook. When the vegetables are cooked, add the cooled rice and mix gently. Garnish with cilantro and serve with raita or chips.
1. Cook basmati rice and allow to cool.2. Add the soya chunks to hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes.3. Squeeze the extra water from the soya chunks and cut into small pieces.4. Heat oil and add cloves and cinnamon.5. Add onions, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies.6. Saute until the onions are cooked.7. Add tomatoes.8. Saute until tomatoes turn mushy.9. Add the soya chunks and snow peas.10. Add salt, turmeric, chilly powder, coriander powder and 1/2 cup water.11. Mix well.12. Allow the vegetables to cook.13. When the vegetables are cooked, add the cooled rice and mix gently.14. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with raita or chips.
Easy and tasty rice ready.
9 Responses to Snow Peas Soya Chunks Rice
very different thought process !!!! Looks Great !!!
Wonderful combo, this rice looks absolutely incredible.
Lovely dish very tempting
Lovely photography, and what a yummy dish!
I love soya chunks anytime and in every thing too. lovely rice.
What a healthy tempting rice..
Easy meal & healthy too..
very healthy and adding snow peas in pulao type rice is new to me.