I add baby corn to pasta and that was about it until now. Only when my store stopped carrying baby corn I realized that I actually miss the corn . I am sure I did not see it in the store for a few years and recently when I spotted them I pretty much picked most of the cans for fear of the store running out of them. Wanted to try something new and this dish was born.
I have tasted these festive dishes like szechwan rice, noodles, cashew rice and so on only in restaurants after I started working. I do not recollect eating outside when we were kids. On rare occasions we used to do a carry out and order food from the restaurant. Even then it was the usual South Indian stuff and nothing fancy. When I joined work, our group of friends used to go out to eat once in a while and these dishes topped our list.
I had no clue how the dishes were made nor the ingredients, but everything tasted great. Thinking about it now, cashews roasted in ghee and the rice with loads of ghee is certainly going to be yummy. No doubts on that. But you know me by now . I try to avoid deep frying and look for healthy alternatives. That being said, this dish is not loaded with fat, but it has some fat because of shallow frying.
A funny thing that I did was using masala chilli sauce instead of tomato sauce because I was in a hurry and did not expect it to be THAT hot. Well, what was I thinking? It was fiery hot yet tasty that I did not have the heart to dump it. Will probably not make that mistake again . Off to the recipe. Adapted from Mallika Badrinath book.
Tasty side dish with baby corn.
- oil - to shallow fry the babycorn
- babycorn - 14 pieces (I used a 15 oz can)
- corn starch - 1.5 tbsp
- spring onion - to garnish
- For Marinade
- soy sauce - 2 tsp
- ginger-garlic paste - 1.5 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- vinegar - 1 tbsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp (powdered pepper)
- For Sauce
- tomato sauce - 3 tbsp
- soy sauce - 1.5 tbsp
- chilli sauce - 2 tsp (I used 1 tsp red chilli sauce and 1 tsp green chilli sauce)
- water - 1 cup
- corn starch - 1/2 tbsp
- For Saute
- oil - 2 tsp
- onion - 1 cup - chopped
- green chilly - 2
- garlic - 10 cloves - chopped
Mix the ingredients under marinade together. Add the baby corn pieces to the marinade and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Frying the corn
Remove the corn pieces from the marinade and place on a plate. Reserve the leftover marinade for sauce. Sprinkle corn starch over the baby corn pieces and shallow fry the corn until it is brown on all sides.
To the leftover marinade, add the sauce ingredients and mix well.
Putting it all together
Heat oil and saute onion, green chilly and garlic until onion is cooked. Add the sauce and simmer until the sauce thickens. Add the baby corn pieces and simmer for 5 minutes.
Garnish with spring onions and serve with rice.
1. Take the marinade ingredients (soy sauce, ginger-garlic paste, salt, vinegar and pepper powder) in a bowl.2. Mix well.3. Add the baby corn to the marinade.4. Mix and marinate for 30 minutes.5. Marinated baby corn.6. Remove the corn pieces and place on a plate. Keep the leftover marinade aside. We will use it for the sauce.7. Sprinkle cornstarch over it.8. Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the corn.9. Flip over and fry until both sides have a nice brown color.10. Fried corn.11. Leftover marinade.12. Add the sauce ingredients (tomato sauce, soy sauce, chilli sauce and corn starch) to it.13. Mix well.14. Add the water and mix well.15. Heat oil and add onions, green chilly and garlic.16. Saute until onions are cooked.17. Add the sauce.18. Mix and simmer until the sauce thickens. It took about 15 minutes for me.19. Add the shallow fried baby corn pieces.20. Simmer for 5 minutes and turn the stove off.21. Garnish with spring onions.
We paired it with chinese fried rice and I am craving for some right now.
11 Responses to Szechwan Babycorn
Truly addictive one, even i wanted to try out with baby corn when i made the schezwan sauce recently
i will mak for party to serve as an apptizer. love you clicks.
Looks appetizing…yummy looking baby corn
i would love to try this out…yummy recipe
Celebrate – Easter
in my blog.
Yummy dish..nice click too
Hi , first time in ur space i guess. U have a great great space with vibrant pics… This baby corn recipe looks cool.. must try
really done well!
I just drooled over eggplant in szechwan sauce @ edible garden & now your baby corn in szechwan sauce.. wow.. i will be making some spicy veggies this week in this sauce..
That looks really delicious will try
you are making me so hungry!!Although I just had my meal!!! so delicious!!
Ongoing Event – HITS – Diabetic Friendly
Ongoing Event – Healthy Foods for Healthy kids – Italian Dishes (w Giveaway)
Such a beautiful dish,highly inviting and definitely irresistible babycorns..