It is officially spring in my part of the world, but we cannot rejoice yet because we have snow in the forecast this weekend. Kids are obviously excited and I am happy as long as I do not have to step out in the cold weather. I love watching the snow fall and hot tea and deep fried munchies make it even better . Coming to the recipe, thogayal is a condiment that is often easy to make and can be used with rice, dosa, rotis and more.
We can prepare it with various combination of ingredients and the weirdest one I heard and tasted was the thogayal made with ridge gourd peel. I could not believe that we could use the peel until I tasted it. After trying out paratha and soup with spring onions, I wanted to try this thogayal. To add more flavor to the spring onion thogayal, I added cilantro. The thogayal was mildly sweet and tasted great. We had it with oats upma. Off to the recipe.
Spring Onion Thogayal
Tangy condiment with spring onions and cilantro.
- oil - 1/2 tsp
- urad dal - 3 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- red chillies - 2
- asafoetida - a pinch
- spring onion - 1 bunch - about 1 cup chopped
- salt - to taste
- tamarind - small lime size - about 1 tbsp soaked in a little water
- cilantro - 3/4 cup - packed
Soak tamarind in a little water.
Heat oil and saute urad dal, asafoetida and red chillies until the dal turns golden brown. Next add spring onion and saute for a couple of minutes. Allow to cool. Blend with tamarind and salt.
Next add cilantro to the blended mixture and blend again. Use little or no extra water.
1. The thogayal is normally on the thicker side. Adjust to desired thickness by adding more or less water as needed.
1 year ago: Blueberry Banana Almond Smoothie
1. Soak tamarind in a little water.2. Heat oil and add urad dal, asafoetida and red chillies.3. Saute until the dal turns golden brown.4. Add the chopped spring onion.5. Saute for a couple of minutes. Turn the stove off and allow to cool.6. Take the spring onion, soaked tamarind and salt in a blender.7. Blend to a paste adding very little water if needed.8. Add the cilantro.9. Blend again with little or no extra water.
Tasty thogayal ready. We had it with oats upma.
3 Responses to Spring Onion – Cilantro Thogayal (Chutney)
Fantastic chutney.looks great
Aromatic and fantastic green thogayal,very tempting.
that should be so delicious and so yummy!!! should try this with idli or dosa!
Ongoing Event – HITS – Diabetic Friendly
Ongoing Event – Healthy Foods for Healthy kids – Italian Dishes (w Giveaway)