I have picky eaters in the house that do not care for quinoa. I don’t blame them because not everyone would like the nutty flavor. But, knowing its health benefits I have to sneak it in somewhere right. That is how this patty was born. K nor the kids were aware that the cutlets were loaded with healthy ingredients like quinoa and flax. If I had mentioned, it would have been a whole different story and some things are better kept as a secret .My kids loved it too. Every 2 minutes while I was clicking I heard little voices asking if they could grab a piece. It sure doubled my clicking time, but it is pretty much part of every photo shoot. Finally, when I was done clicking, I told the kids to just leave 4 and finish up the rest. My son promptly came to me and said that there were only 5 left and those were the ones in the photo shoot. I am still surprised that my daughter had it without complaining since she is the pickiest in the house and cannot stand any spice. So, friends if you are looking for ways to disguise quinoa, try this since most kids love potatoes. Off to the recipe.
Healthy shallow fried patties made with potato, spinach and quinoa.
- potatoes - 2.5 cups - mashed
- spinach - 1 cup - packed (chop finely)
- quinoa - 1/4 cup - cooked
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- chaat masala - 1 - 2 tsp
- flax meal - 1 tbsp mixed with 3 tbsp water
Boil potatoes and mash. Mix the mashed potatoes with spinach, quinoa, salt, chilly powder, cumin powder, chaat masala and flax meal mixture. Make small patties from the mix and shallow fry on a griddle until the patties are golden brown.
1. Chaat masala adds a nice tanginess and flavor. Omit if needed.
1 year ago: Potato Fry with Curry Leaves
1. Boil the potatoes and mash them. Cook quinoa according to this post.2. Take the mashed potatoes in a bowl.3. Add spinach and cooked quinoa.4. Mix it all together.5. Add salt, chilly powder, cumin powder and chaat masala.6. Mix it together.7. Add the flax mixture.8. Mix it again.9. Pinch a portion of the mix and form a ball.10. Flatten it to form a patty.11. Drizzle some oil on a griddle and place the patties over it. Drizzle a few drops of oil around the patties.12. Flip over in a few minutes. When both sides are golden brown, the patties are done. Remove and place on paper towels and serve warm with ketchup.
Tasty cutlets with ketchup.