Time for the Gourmet Seven and for this month we have chosen “Pies/Tarts/Galette” from smittenkitchen. I decided to go with the galette since I did not have a tart pan and enjoyed the experience thoroughly. The pastry was flaky, tasty and the zucchini had a nice crunch to it. I also added broccoli since it gets disguised in the cheesy mix.
You need to plan ahead since some ingredients need to be refrigerated and the dough also needs refrigeration. Sour cream in pastry is new to me and I have to repeat that the pastry was the best. I made this galette a couple of months ago to finish up the ricotta cheese left after making the pasta shells. I need to work on getting a nice circle, but it does not matter since it tastes great anyway . Recipe adapted from SmittenKitchen.
Ingredients – Pastry
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour chilled in freezer for 30 minutes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp – 1 stick – COLD butter cut into pieces and chilled
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ICE COLD WATER
Ingredients – Filling
- 2 zucchinis sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds (40 slices roughly – Salted and kept for 30 minutes)
- 3/4 cup shredded broccoli (Salted and kept for 30 minutes)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3/4 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup mozarella
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water for glaze (optional)
- Do not over mix the dough. Just mix until it comes together.
Galette ready to be served.