I am trying to find out interesting ways to use Kale. First one was the kale chips and it was an instant hit. Next, I decided to make this stir fry paired with lentils to overcome the slight bitterness that kale has. The stir fry reminded me of the fry that my mom makes using drumstick leaves. I so miss drumstick leaves and it has been years since I had it.
Healthy kale with protein packed lentils was a perfect side dish for our rice. You can use any lentil and make the same recipe with any greens. Off to the recipe.
Simple stir fry with lentils and kale.
- moong dal - 1/4 cup - cooked (Green gram dal/Payatham Paruppu)
- oil - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- red chillies - 3 (dry ones)
- onions - 1/2 cup - chopped
- garlic - 2 cloves - chopped
- kale - 1 bunch - about 8 cups chopped
- coconut - 1 tbsp - I used dry coconut
- salt - to taste
- water - 1/4 cup
1. Cook moong dal in water. Do not let it get mushy.
2. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add red chillies, onions and garlic.
3. Saute until the onions are cooked.
4. Add the kale. Sprinkle water.
5. Cook until the kale wilts down.
6. Add the cooked dal, coconut and salt.
7. Mix well and turn off the stove after a couple of minutes.
Healthy fry ready.