Kuzhambu is basically a gravy made with tamarind and is mixed with rice and eaten. I make this type of kuzhambu at least two to three times a month and is very easy. The good thing about kuzhambu is that it lasts a few days since it has no dal in it and I normally make it over the weekend and have it a few times during the week. The same recipe can be modified to use different vegetables like okra (vendakka), potato and so on.
A good accompaniment to any kuzhambu would be kootu or just plain dal. You can also use this as a side dish for idli or dosa. You can find various types of kuzhambu/sambar here. Off to the recipe.
Onion Vatha KuzhambuPrint Recipe
By June 14, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 40 mins
Tangy tamarind gravy to go with rice.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (ulutham paruppu)
- 1 tsp channa dal (kadala paruppu)
- 1 tsp toor dal (thuvaram paruppu)
- pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (vendhayam)
- 2 dry red chillies
- few curry leaves
- 1 cup onion sliced
- lemon sized tamarind (use 2 cups water roughly, to extract the juice)
- 1-2 tsp sambar powder (see notes)
- pinch of turmeric
- salt (to taste)
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add dals, asafoetida, fenugreek, red chillies and curry leaves. Saute until the dals turn golden brown.
- Next add onion and saute until onion is cooked.
- Now add the tamarind water, sambar powder, tumeric and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and turn off the stove.
- Chilly powder can be used instead of sambar powder, but use less of it.
Kuzhambu, appala kootu and rice was for our dinner that day.
5 Responses to Onion Vatha Kuzhambu
superb slurpy kozhambu there
Event : Healthy Diet – Sandwiches
wow…loved this wonderful dish with onions !!!a great side dish for rice n chapattis !!!
my all time fav- slurp !
It looks yummy!It tastes heavenly with hot rice.!
Slurp,fingerlicking vatha kuzhambu..Mouthwatering here.