Fennel is new to me and while looking for recipes to use the same, I came across a healthy soup. I modified it based on the ingredients on hand and to our liking and totally loved the result. I have used fennel seeds for a few recipes and a little goes a long way, but the fennel bulb is very mild and can be substituted instead of onion in recipes. To make it into a wholesome meal, I have added cooked beans. Overall a winner and will be making it again. Inspired by this recipe. Off to the recipe.
Healthy soup with fennel, vegetables and beans.
- olive oil - 1 tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- garlic - 3 cloves - chopped
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- fennel bulb - 1 cup - chopped (about half a bulb)
- carrots - 1/2 cup - diced
- potatoes - 1 cup - diced
- tomatoes - 2 cups (chopped) + 1/2 cup puree
- pinto beans - 1 cup - cooked
- garbanzo - 3/4 cup - cooked
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- water - 4 cups
- spinach - 2 handfuls - fresh
- parmesan cheese - as needed - optional
Heat oil and add cumin seeds and garlic; next add onions and fennel and saute until it is cooked.
Add the rest of the ingredients except spinach and cheese. When vegetables are cooked add spinach; when it wilts down add the cheese.
Turn off the stove in a couple of minutes. Serve warm.
2 years ago: Twisted Sugar Cookies
3 years ago: Coriander Thokku
4 years ago: Ven Pongal
1. Heat oil. Add cumin seeds and garlic. After a few seconds add onions and fennel and saute until it is cooked.2. Add the rest of the ingredients except spinach and cheese.3. When vegetables are cooked add spinach. When it wilts add the cheese.4. Turn off the stove in a couple of minutes. Serve warm.
Healthy soup ready.