While trying to find recipes with whole masoor, I came across this usal recipe in a cookbook. Adapted it based on the ingredients on hand and we had a tasty snack for the evening. You can also serve this as a side dish with rice or roti. This dish reminded me of the various sundals we make for snack. It is easy to make and you do not have to worry about overnight soaking of legumes. I have soaked the lentils for a couple of hours so they cook soon, but you can make this recipe without soaking the lentils as well. It will just take a bit longer to cook. The kootu podi added a nice flavor to the dish, but you can skip it if needed. Overall a forgiving dish. Recipe adapted from Mallika Badrinath cookbook. Off to the recipe.
Whole Masoor Usal
Easy snack with lentils.
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp (jeeragam)
- asafoetida - a bit
- garlic - 6 cloves - minced
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped thinly
- curry leaves - a few
- pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - 1/4 tso
- masoor dal - 1/2 cup (whole masoor dal - soaked for 2 hours)
- kootu podi - 4 tsp
Kootu podi can be made following this link
Soak the lentils for 2 hours.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, garlic, onion, curry leaves and pepper powder. Saute until onions are done.
Add salt, chilly powder, soaked lentils and about a cup of water. Allow the lentils to cook.
When lentils are cooked, sprinkle the kootu podi and mix well. Serve as a side or snack.
Use as much water as needed to cook the lentils. Drain the excess water (if there is any) after the lentils are cooked.
1 year ago: Focaccia Caprese
2 years ago: Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
3 years ago: Neem Flower Rasam
1. Soak the lentils for 2 hours.2. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, garlic, onions, curry leaves and pepper powder.3. Saute until onions are done.4. Add salt, chilly powder and lentils.5. Add about a cup of water and allow the lentils to cook.6. Lentils are cooked.7. Sprinkle the kootu podi.8. Mix and serve.
Tasty snack ready.